Summer is coming my friends! Are you ready to get all tan and sexy?
Most of us strive for this beautiful brown beach body. It looks so attractive and healthy! But we all know how easy it can be to simply overdo it and get a painful red-pink sunburn if you don’t use a proper sunscreen. Unfortunately most of sunscreens available on the market contain a lot of toxic components that get absorbed to the bloodstream causing all kinds of health problems. Here is my solution for an effective and cheap alternative, let’s Green It Up!
DIY sunscreen ingredients:
1/2 cup Coconut Oil
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 Tbs Shea Butter
1 Tbs Zinc Oxide powder
1 Tbs Bees Wax
40 drops of Carrot Seed Oil
40 drops of Raspberry Seed Oil
How to make it
- Place your coconut oil in a double boiler.
- Add bee’s wax and wait until almost melted.
- Add shea butter, mix it well and turn of the heat once it’s all melted.
- Add zinc oxide. If you have a small blender, use it. If not, mix it really well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend (or mix) it well.
- Let it cool and mix it again to make sure it stays nice and creamy.
- Voila! Your sunscreen is ready.
SPF – Sun Protection Factor
You’re probably wondering what is the SPF of this sunscreen lotion. The truth is that it is actually hard to define the SPF number without going through the testing lab. If I was going to guess judging from how long I can stay on the sun without getting burned I’d say it’s about 25-30 SPF. I have a naturally light skin and blond hair so in the first few days of summer I usually make my sunscreen even stronger adding an extra Tbs of Zinc and higher the ratio of Raspberry and Carrot Seed Oils. There is some data available out there on specific ingredients used in this recipe:
- Coconut Oil – SPF 4-6
- Zinc Oxide – SPF 2-20 depending on how much is used
- Raspberry Seed Oil – SPF 25-50
- Carrot Seed Oil – SPF 35-40
- Shea Butter – SPF 4-6